Are you a tattoo artist who wants to expand the business of your tattoo studio? If so, you may want to consider adding laser tattoo removal procedures to your operation if you haven’t already done so.
Or possibly you may be thinking about taking training, being an apprentice and learning about tattoo laws and the necessary certifications to become a licensed tattoo artist. In that case, you might also want to consider adding laser tattoo removal and laser tattoo lightening to your business plan.
Tattoo removal is a rapidly growing business. According to market research and advisory company Allied Market Research, the value of the global tattoo removal market was $478 million in 2019. And it’s expected to grow to $795 million by 2027. So, it’s obvious that there is plenty of business out there.
Part of the reason is it seems that many people have changed their minds and have regret about their tattoos. Maybe they no longer like the design. Maybe the tattoo depicted a lifestyle or beliefs (gang membership, anti-social attitude or incarceration) that they no longer want to be affiliated with or judged by. Also, both victims of intimate partner violence and human trafficking want to get tattoos removed to support their healing, and in order to break free of the past and move forward.
Interested in starting a free or low-cost tattoo removal program?
When adding tattoo removal services, you may also want to consider offering free or low-cost tattoo removals for those in reentry. Many people leaving prison or jail have visible anti-social and gang-related tattoos. As a result, they may not be able to get a job or their lives may be endangered. Providing complimentary or low-cost tattoo removal will help reduce recidivism and make a big difference in many people’s lives.
If offering free or low-cost services to this population is something you are considering or would like to consider, we’re available to help. We suggest you read the rest of this article and then send us an email.
Jails to Jobs’ mission includes tattoo removal
Jails to Jobs is a volunteer-run 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a mission that includes tattoo removal outreach and program development. There are several steps you have to take to be able to provide tattoo removal services. Below are the main steps, how we can help, and what we can offer by providing complimentary technical assistance and, in some cases, guiding you to where to find it. We can help you:
- Determine who can provide tattoo removals in your state. Every state has different regulations on who can operate a tattoo removal laser. In more than half of the states in the U.S., non-medical personnel can fire the laser and perform procedures, and these states do not require an onsite medical director. We’re happy to help identify whether your specific state’s regulations fall within this criteria.
- Learn how to start a nonprofit or how to identify an existing nonprofit to act as your fiscal sponsor.
- Figure out where to find funding – offering ideas on possible funding sources and dealing with grant proposals including details related to laser tattoo removal and other details to successfully compete for funding.
- Avoid searching the internet and having to sift through all the marketing hype to find the right equipment. We can also help you discover discounts for nonprofits that are willing to offer free or low-cost tattoo removal to those in reentry, former gang members, victims of intimate partner violence, human trafficking or at-risk youth.
- Become aware of equipment maintenance costs, what to expect, and how much to budget for these reoccurring costs, which contribute to the “true cost of ownership.”
- Receive a free copy of our book, Tattoo Removal: Establishing a Free or Low-Cost Community-Based Program, A How-to Guide. This only-one-of-its-kind how-to guide is the go-to reference for nonprofits, medical professionals, technicians, tattoo artists and anyone else who would like to create a free or low-cost tattoo removal program. It includes everything from how to decide the best service delivery model to use to case studies of successful programs. It also includes directories of laser device suppliers and rental companies, as well as schools that teach tattoo removal and suggestions on how to raise money to fund a program.
- Receive a complimentary listing in our online national directory of free and low cost tattoo removal programs on our website. Our directory currently includes over 300 programs in 42 states
Get a free copy of our book and technical assistance
And once again, if you are a nonprofit, soon to be nonprofit, or interested in utilizing a fiscal sponsor, and are serious about starting a free or low-cost community-based program, for people in reentry or those leaving gangs, please feel free to contact us. We would be happy to supply you with a complimentary copy of our book, Tattoo Removal: Establishing a Free or Low-Cost Community-Based Program, A How-to Guide, and support with the other technical assistance items noted above. We’re here to help!